Monday, May 15, 2006

Fun at the feeding clinic

Today is the big day! Bugaboo and I are headed to CHOP (Children's Hospital) to enter the feeding clinic. Bugaboo is a stocky lad, but lacks in nutrition. He has oral motor issues and madny sensory sensitivities, there are just certain food textures he won't or can't eat. Like anything healthy.
Bugaboo's diet was limited but at least he ate a well-rounded bit of food. He loved spaghetti with meat sauce, pizza, eggs, chicken, turkey, mashed potatoes, rice, waffles and grilled cheese. He also ate apples, melon, bananas, green beans, corn and veggie booty. That all changed when he had Pneumonia before Christmas, just before his birthday. He was on heavy meds and it took over a month for him to get better.
In that time he stopped eating. He went four days without food sometimes. Then there were days where he ate nothign but apples. Then he stopped eating apples. Out of desperation, I called the doc, the GI person, anyone would listen. They recommended the feeding clinic, but duPont is closed to new patients due to overload (my hospital of choice) so I have to venture into the city to CHOP, not my favorite place.
I have heard from many people that the feeding clinic isn't fun. They use an OT and SPT to help with the oral motor stuff and gag reflex. There is also a Psychologist on staff. It is supposed to be an EXCELLENT program, but I know there will be a point where we may have to force feed him.
The good news is that he is currently back to eating toast, apples and yogurt. But that is ALL he eats. I know it is only a matter of time before he grows tired of eating the same thing over and over...
Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Domestic CEO said...

Good luck!

Just Nancy said...

Good luck!

Chaotic Mom said...

Hey, I'm curious to know how this goes. My little one has sensory problems with eating, too. Won't touch whip cream, jello, anything with "strange" textures. I remember taking him to a PT playgroup, they were fingerpainting with whip cream, he FREAKED OUT. Sigh...

How long did it take for you to get an appt at CHOP?