Thursday, November 09, 2006

Good movies

I do not watch much television. Once in a while the stars and planets align, the kids cooperate and I have nothing to do since I am caught up on all routines. So guess what I did last night? I picked up the remote and watched television.

I spent 20 minutes searching for my newest crossword puzzle and word game book to no avail. I was frustrated and angry after a rough day (Bug Boy diagnosed with seizures like Bugaboo, Bugaboo having diarrhea in the tub, the list goes on) and by the time I located the book my brain was fried beyond repair. So tv it was.

I flipped through the makeover and plastic surgery shows and finally settled on Bend It Like Bekham. I have been wanting to see that movie forever, it had great reviews. And it was good! It starred Parminda Nagra (of ER fame) and Keira Knightley (of Pirates of the Carribean and Pride and Prejudice Fame) and others. Quite a light-hearted little dramedy. I have realized that I liked it so much because it was so clean cut and because the girls in the movie were total tomboys, kinda like me. But I also loved it because it was about a Sikh family in Englad. I have this thing for Bollywood films, Bride and Prejudice perhaps is my favorite. Bend it Like Bekham was a good fit because it showed the struggle that Jess endured trying to please her traditional Indian Family while growing up a teen in London and trying to be a modern girl. Very cute film, so if you haven't seen it, please do.

Oh, and I also watched Discovery Health, you know the show about the women that lost 800 lbs? I have this thing for Discovery Health shows...

3 comments:

CryssyeR said...

I LOVE this movie! I have had a secret love affair with the Bollywood films, too, but this isn't technically Bollywood. Still, it was really good and not too emotionally stirring. Only wish they had thrown in a musical number ;)

So sorry to hear you had a rough day, though. I know it was a shock for you to hear about Bug Boy, but better to know about it than not! Let me know if you need anything. oh, and I still have Bugaboo's cup!

Chaotic Mom said...

You watch Bollywood films? I loved Bend it Like Bekham, but would REALLY love to see more. What would you recommend? I'll have to look into Bride and Prejudice. Any others?

Unknown said...

I've seen Bend It Like Beckham almost as many times as I've seen The Princess Bride. And that's a lot!