Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My Favorite Products

I know you are all hanging on the edge of your seats, waiting to find out what beauty products (or lack there of) that I am using. I will let you in my my best-kept secrets and divulge that information, but first you must pinky-swear that you won't tell ANYONE. OK? Good. Here it goes:

Deodorant: I use two different products. Since I am one of those whacky chicks that does not believe in using aluminum-based antiperspirants and deodorants, I chose to use all-natural deodorant products instead. My two favs are herbal clear Naturally! Clear Aloe Fresh Deodorant and Spray Mist Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal. They rock. And I am a smelly chick, not that you needed to know that. They keep me fresh all day! I find them at CVS, Target, Martindale's and Trader Joe's. I do not pay as much as they show online. I used to use Tom's of Maine, they are nice, too.

Shampoo/Conditioner: My favorite shampoo, believe it or not, is the Suave knock-off version of their salon line. They work just as well as the salon shampoos and cost about a tenth of the salon version. I used to pledge allegiance to the united states of nexxus until I tried the knock-off, shortly after marrying Darling and being put on a tight budget in order to go back to college. I haven't been back since. It has been ten years! You can find them at Target, Walmart, you name it. They retail for under $2 each. My favorite is the Suave Sleek line, due to my naturally frizzy hair (didn't know I straightened it, did ya? See? It works!). When my hair is really frizzy or dry I use two deep conditioners. One is Queen Helene Cholesteral. That stuff is AMAZING but you MUST follow directions and you MUST rinse it very cleanly. Do not put too much in, you will look like you put mayo in your hair. Trust me on this one. I haven't done that but my sister has! My other favorite is this. Now, it is environmentally friendly and cruelty-free, so don't look at me like that! All can be found at Target, CVS, etc, $5 or under.

Facial products: I LOVE Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask. It shrinks those nasty pores I have developed in my old age and is like a cocktail for your face, really. Sana alcohol. I've used it for years, tried others in the interim and came back to this because there is no substitute! For facial cleansing I use good ole cetaphil in the shower and at night use the Aveeno soy-based line, including the facial scrub, daily clarifying moisturizer and facial toner. They don't dry out too much and don't aggravate my rosacea too much. The miracle of all miracle is made by Aveeno's sister company, Neutrogena (Darling works for Johnson and Johnson, they make Aveeno and Neutrogena!). I use their Radiance Boost Eye Cream and their Healthy Defense stuff isn't too shabby either. Wonderful stuff, that eye cream. Helps with the puffiness and wrinkles. CVS, Target, etc, all $5 or under.

Makeup: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I thought you just said makeup! Oh, that was funny! Oh stop, you are making my sides hurt! HAHAHAHA!!

Other Skin Care: For all-over body cleansing, I love Johnson's Softwash. It is a brand-new line of adult products that are made as gentle as the baby lines. I used to use baby body wash because I have sensitive skin but didn't appreciate smelling like a baby. Now I can smell like an adult! WOOHOO! Just kidding. But they do work well, my skin isn't itchy and flaky when I get out of the shower. Their lotions work well, too. Currently we all use Aveeno Oatmeal lotion because of the eczema running rampant in my home. Try Target, usually $5-6.


Dental: I love Arm & Hammer toothpaste. I tried Tom's of Maine but it tastes so lousy! I am a tea-drinking addict, and I use demerara sugar, so good toothpaste is a must. I hate dental floss but found these great Dentek floss picks that totally rock! We also use good ole Listerine. My latest awesome find is Crest White Strips. They really work!

Shaving: Last but not least, the shaving methods. Remember this post? Well, lately I've changed my methods. I still use the Nair/Neet for underarm and bikini area because it produces less bumps. I have recently gone back to shaving my legs with the best razor on the planet. FOr a few years I used the Gillette Mach III, not unlike my friend Anjali. I used it for maybe ten years before children were born and I became super lazy and experimented with hair removal products (hence the hair removal post of 2006). Gillette recently launched a brand-new razor that is the cousin of the Mach III, the Fusion. I like it even better than the Mach III, although it is much more expensive. Trust me, I've tried it all, including the supposed "lady razors" and nothing comes close to this. As for Shaving Cream, I prefer Aveeno. Ahhhh...

Feminine supplies: I've ranted plenty of times about how much I hate tampons and pads. I'd rather wear a diaper. I may get that chance in about thirty years (my mother has had to for a while now, that's what happens when you have fifteen pregnancies and a botched hysterectomy that nicks your bladder and then you have to have it reconstructed), but in the meantime I will use Instead. I love them, took some getting used to, but now I cringe at the thought of using something else. I carrying them everywhere just in case. I don't ever want to have to use a vending machine (horrors!) or have to borrow one! 'Nuff said.

There you have it. Now, y'all better not go running out to Tarzhay and stealing it all off the shelves. That would really tick me off. And since I know where most of you live, and I am premenstrual, that would be a very bad idea indeed. mmmmkay?

2 comments:

Happy said...

Hmmm, I am curious about the Instead Feminine product. Not to be too personal, but you did post so you must be somewhat comfortable w/discussing it. How do you not make a mess of your hands when you are inserting or removing? And what if you dropped it after removal? I'm at work so I didn't want to look at the PDF file on their website (big brother is always watching). It looked very similar to a diaphragm. Is that an accurate comparison?

Unknown said...

I got a free Gillette Fusion in the mail, and have not looked back. I'll miss my days with the Mach III, but I'm a convert to the Fusion, for sure.