Monday, January 15, 2007

Days off

I love that term. A day off. For whom, may I ask?

Every time a government holiday rolls around I cringe at the thought of it. On weekends I at least have some back-up, Darling takes the boys for rides to the store, plays golf, pulls them in the wagon and hangs out in the garage while they sit on the tractor and in the jeep.

Today I fly solo.

How horrible is it that I dread these days? One would think that I would look forward to these days and the chance to spend all of my time with my sons, whom I love with every ounce of my soul. The truth is, as much as the idea of a whole day with my children makes me happier than I can explain, the harsh truth is that on a day like today, no matter how much I plan and how scheduled I attempt to make it, they come crashing down by about lunch time.

They are pleasant and calm, lounging in their pajamas and playing with their favorite toys. But they have done this all weekend so the novelty quickly wears off. Then we read books, listen to music, get out the special "rainy day" activities that I keep hidden for special days like this. It lasts for a little while. We go into the basement and make forts. We rough-house. The do sensory therapy and roll on the exercise balls. We set up giant tracks of trains and Bugaboo does his Godzilla impersonation and walks all over it. We play air hockey. We take a ride to the store and pick up a few necessities and some prescriptions. I keep them very busy.

By early afternoon the crying will start. The tantrums, the biting, the screaming. The meltdowns. Oh, the meltdowns. It will be all I can do to maintain my composure. This is usually when I try a video. After five or six hours there isn't much left, and I hate to use the television like that, but since they watch it about an hour a week I guess it isn't the worst I could do.

I make sure they have plenty of sleep and eat tons of protein. It helps. I make sure they are drinking plenty. That helps tremendously. But the routine is still disrupted. Why do I have to work so flipping hard on days off? When does my vacation day occur?

Now, I am not trying to be spoiled. They go to school and I have the place to myself from 9-3. Well, not really, I do have Little Miss here mornings until noon. So I have from noon until three to shower, clean, shop, workout, make appointments, return calls and make dinner. It never gets done. But at least I can turn on some music to soothe my brain.

I will make it through. I am trying to enjoy this day but they are already bored. They've eaten breakfast and are relatively calm. I cannot help but brace for myself for what surely will come later. Sorry to be a pessimist (totally not my nature) but when you have two kids with needs like mine, well, you learn to be prepared for the likely event of a major meltdown. ADHD and Autism do that to you.

Now, where is that cup of tea? Time to nuke it and FINISH it this time.

1 comment:

CryssyeR said...

So, did you survive?