Friday, January 19, 2007

I've been awake since FIVE AM!!!!

No worries about getting up on time this morning, Bug Boy was kind enough to wake up at five. He has had a wicked bout of ear infections the past week and was in tremendous pain. Last night when we tucked him in we found him sound asleep, on the floor, in his underwear, snoring away. He also had a blanket wrapped around the heater in his room (hmmmm, he was hot?).

Bug Boy has not had an ear infection in about four months. Before that it was eight months. So, two in one year was not too shabby, considering this poor child has had three sets of ear tubes and one operation to correct scarring on his ear drum. Bugaboo has also had three sets so far. I expected that Bug Boy was growing out of them, but now if he gets one more they will refer me back to the ENT.

The main culprits with the boys are allergies and anatomy. There really is nothing I can do about their anatomy and we have little control over their allergies. Neither boy can be on allergy medication because of the fear it will make them too drowsy or interact with the seizure medications. We just tough it out, use saline and hope for the best. Because of the unseasonably warm temperatures we have had their poor little noses have been suffering. I think Bug Boy's nasal passages have just decided they have had enough and are currently exiling the inflammation and fluid to the ear canals.

He woke up with so much pain this morning (still in his undies) and climbed in with us while I massaged his ears and sinuses. He has not cuddled with me in MONTHS, so despite the fact that I was bleary-eyed and wishing he would doze off, I cherished the moment we had. His little (BIG!) feet tucked in between my knees, his little hand holding mine and his head tucked into the space between my head and my shoulder. I have never felt so close to him! My boys just are not the huggy-kissy-snuggly-type. They like their space. It makes it that much sweeter when they want to be cuddled or held.

I imagine Bugaboo will be ill some time this weekend. I am amazed that he has only had a handful of colds so far this season but I am bracing myself for the onslaught of viruses. He generally gets one this time of year and it lasts for months, due to his immune system difficulties. I have been pumping him full of vitamins and protein in an attempt to perk him up and hopefully make him stronger. Let's just say the kids like Bugaboo do not have the most stellar hygiene skills!

Bug Boy must be feeling better. He has retreated to the basement and Darling and I have been able to hear him talking NON-STOP for the past hour. To himself. Or the cars, I do not know which...

2 comments:

Happy said...

Oh, poor bugaboo, but it's nice that you got snuggly time. Glad to hear that Bug Boy is feeling better.

Perky said...

I think there's definitely something in the air right now! CutiePie had an ear infection this week, too! His first since August! Luckily, this time we caught it before the tubes blew! I hope your little one feels better fast!