Monday, January 22, 2007

ACK!!!

I had an entirely different post in my mind when I sat down to do this. Then the phone rang. Darling informed me of his latest routine blood work and his cholesterol was...

207!!!!!

Yes, I know there is good and bad cholesterol. Yes, I know the difference. And no, this is not the same thing, because apparently his problem is the "bad" cholesterol. Perhaps the fact that he has not been at the gym more than once a week in six months and the fact that he has gained fifteen pounds in a year has something to do with it, too. My Darling, at a mere Sixty-Six inches tall (on a good day with shoes on) currently weighs in at One hundred eighty-five pounds. That's a BMI of about 31.

(Don't worry, I told him I blog everything.)

Couple that with the fact that EVERYONE in his family (mother, father, sister, brother, uncle and grandmother, all of his living, direct relatives) has cholesterol over 200. His maternal grandfather died of heart disease at the ripe old age of fifty. His grandmother has had several heart attacks and has had angioplasty. His father takes medications to keep his cholesterol down. Not stuff I really want to think about. He is THIRTY-FIVE, gals. He is setting himself up for an early death, and I have NO DESIRE to be a widow at forty.

Wanna know what mine was this past fall?

95.

Yes, you read that correctly. Obnoxiously low. Wanna know why? Because I exercise, eat very little meat (but tons of eggs, go figure), plenty of whole grains and veggies and keep my weight and diet in control. The doc says she is impressed. So why is Darling's so out of whack? He eats what I do, at least when he is home. He is quite sedentary in his job, working at a desk all day and sitting in meetings. Then there are the lunch meetings where they provide a meal, which is usually pizza or some kind of disgusting, mayonnaise-heavy salad. He says he doesn't eat that much of it. I typically provide a healthy dinner with salad four to five nights a week (plus a vegetable), whole grains or potatoes (which he dumps butter on) and a lean protein, such as beans or chicken. Where is this coming from? Cheese? We ARE dairy addicts, after all. In moderation dairy is fine. I wonder how much he is consuming when I go to bed? I know for a fact that he is a late-night snacker.

Here's a little government fact sheet.

Okey-dokey, I am calming down now. I promise not to get on his case too much when he walks in the door. He has already told me he is not eating the beeferoni I prepared for dinner. BUT C'MON PEOPLE! 207!!!!

Ok, that felt better. Getting it out of my system. I am going to try not to worry. Tonight for dinner he is getting steamed chicken, brown rice and salad. His breakfast is going to be oatmeal.

Cholesterol, Schmolesterol!

3 comments:

Happy said...

I actually am struggling with mine. I have high cholesterol (the bad kind) and I eat nutritiously and exercise. In my case it's genetic (ugh!). Now my mom, the one who shared these high cholesterol genes took this herb called Red Yeast Rice and had FANTASTIC success. I have to go back to the doctors in a month, get rechecked, and I'm going to ask about it conflicting w/any of my meds.

CryssyeR said...

I know that you help Darling pack his lunch, and you make him breakfast and dinner. What more can YOU do? Darling has to take responsibility for himself as well. Does his company have a gym on site? It may suck for you, but if he can get in two nights a week exercising, it would help. Also, don't forget genetics play a hand in this as well. Medication may be more helpful in this case. I can't tell you not to worry, 'cause you will anyway. But I can tell you to keep talking about it with him. The more facts you give him, the more it should seep into his brain that he needs to take it seriously....

{{{{{HUG}}}}}

Domestic CEO said...

Unfortunately, there is really only so much you can do about this. Provide the healthy food, give him the info, and then remember that he has to make the choices for himself.