Tuesday, July 11, 2006

What is the world coming to?

I have to stop reading the news, especially when Aunt Flo is here for a visit!

I have been doing quite a bit of research as of late in order to educate myself upon making proper choices for our children. DH is more of a "read it and then give me a summary" kind of person, so it really does fall on me, although he does tend to talk to people at work with children with disabilities, and I appreciate that. So, as I have been reading books, websites and the like, I came across two articles recently that disturbed me to no end!

The first was about a little girl with Down's syndrome. One-year-old, mostly healthy (just the typical stuff) and sweet, judging from her picture. It seems her house burned down with her in it. The parents and older children got out, so did the family dog. The family vehicle was even moved from the driveway and the cell phone was grabbed off of the kitchen counter. But not the little girl from her crib. I haven't gotten many more details, but it smells fishy. And it turns my stomach. I pray for her and her family. I just really hope it was an accident!

The second one was about a family with an autistic three-year old girl named Katie McCarron. Same age as Bugaboo, give or take a few weeks. The husband has been living in another state for nearly two years with her and his parents (as caretakers) so that he may send her to the best possible school. They just moved back and reunited the mother and other child three months ago. And a week later, the mother, out of supposed frustration, took a ride with her daughter to get her to fall asleep (been there, done that!) and took her to the grandma's house, put a bag over her head, suffocated her, brought her back to the house and put her to bed, telling everyone that she fell asleep! And the worst part is, the police believed her until the next day when she OD'd on aspirin (took like, six pills) and barely slit her wrists, as she confessed to her husband.

The worst part is that people online are giving these parents nothing but sympathy. "they are under so much stress!" "They were in so much pain!"

GIMMEE A BREAK!!!! This makes me so angry! So, in other words, they are going to get away with it because their kid has a disability and so therefore their lives are more stressful than everyone else's. Their kid has a diagnosis, so therefore it makes them less worthy as a human being. Their lives can be prematurely snuffed out and it is ok, because their parents were stressed out and their children were damaged. So basically, that means that my children's lives aren't as important as other kids, since my kids may or may not become "productive members of society." This just makes me want to retch and vomit!

Sorry to be so emotional. But it hurts me to hear of such things. My children are precious and beautiful, gifts from God. I thank God for them every day (at about the same time I pray for a miracle, to hear my son's voice!). I have my ups and downs like every parent. I cry out of frustration, like every parent. And, my kids are naughty, like all other children. They push the boundaries, give us the "hairy eyeball" when they are reprimanded and throw temper tantrums. I have seen other kids in Tar-zhay do the same thing, and it makes me LAUGH, because then I know I am not the only one! It makes us normal!

So, I am sorry, but the best I can do for these parents is pray. Pray that they will repent and see the light. Pray that they know they made a mistake and did something that was not acceptable. Pray that God is as forgiving as I have been taught. But I cannot condone their actions. I do not feel sorry for them.

There is one more thing I can do. I can hug my children when they come home from school and appreciate that they have been given to me because I am the right mom for the job.

3 comments:

CryssyeR said...

What happens to people when their kids become "hard to handle" in cases like this? I have read too many of these stories lately. Is it because our society is obesessed with "perfect", "me-only", "what-can-I-get"? Or is it more sinister?

All I know is, I am sick of hearing about parents killing their children! If they don't want them, give them to people who do. Or better yet, stop procreating altogher.

Ok, sorry, rant over. I'm gonna stop reading these stories too.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I are unable to have children for a variety of reasons. We are currently adopting and it has been a very painful experience. Yes, stories like that are infuriating!

Overwhelmed! said...

These stories make my heart ache. I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for the parents that do this, all I can think of are the poor, innocent children that die!

We've adopted our little boy and no matter how bad it would ever get, we would NEVER even consider doing something horrific like that!