Monday, March 05, 2007

Stuff and Other Stuff

We had quite an interesting weekend.

Friday Polite Boy slept over. He stayed all day Saturday and Bug Boy had a great time. Bug Boy spent much of the weekend melting down and Polite Boy handled it well. It didn't seem to bother him too much, which I was glad for. He just stated that his sisters acted like that sometimes (and I am sure he does, too!).

Saturday Darling's sister and her brother brought their son here as they were going to a party. Their son is nearly three and a real cutie, but has his own significant delays. In fact, he was not speaking a few months ago AT ALL. He is in early intervention and doing very well. He is now talking in partial sentences but his play is still very ritualistic and obsessive. All he wants to do it play with fans, electronics and light switches. When we tell him he cannot turn on the fan at that moment in time, he completely loses it. A very highly reactive child! Reminds me of Bug Boy at that age, I kid you not. Precocious, adorable and a total spaz.

Bugaboo was all over the place this weekend. He barely slept but was happy and pleasant. He was still rather hyperactive and broke several things (nothing new) by climbing on things we had no idea he would ever attempt to climb. I am now convinced that except for the locks on the doors to keep him from eloping we should do no further baby proofing. The problem with removing all of those things from the environment is that he never learns to deal with them and he never learns to accept that he cannot play with or touch certain things. In a way I am thrilled that he is interacting with his environment (loves washing his hands, pouring, taking a bath, etc). In another way I am getting sick of him taking freezing cold baths (fully clothed) and pouring out our drinks onto the floor (note to self, we now keep drinks up near the sink or counter, never in the Family Room). He did laugh himself silly all weekend and smiled more than I have ever seen him smile. He must be feeling well (FINALLY!). Except last night the reflux/croupy cough showed up again. Never a dull moment. He starts with a cough, ear and sinus infection. Then he gets an antibiotic when his ears explode. Then he gets reflux and bathroom issues from the antibiotic. The reflux causes stomach pain and eventually he aspirates on it, causing a cough and then an ear infection again. Then he goes back to the doc and gets another antibiotic. I really, really, REALLY want to find a way to break this cycle. I feel like we try everything: Special diets, probiotics, reflux meds, vitamins, chiro care, the list goes on. I am looking forward to spring, except that is when his allergies start. Sigh.

For some odd reason, when Bugaboo gets little sleep, he is very interactive. It is as if his brain slows down for a few moments, just enough time to let some information in. When he is tired we get the most speech approximations, the most signing and the most eye contact. He just giggles and laughs (a side effect of the seizures he may be having from lack of sleep) and wants to play. He jumps on the bed with us, drags us to tickle him, wants to be thrown in the air, plays ring-around-the-rosey, hums and sings (twinkle, twinkle or trashy town! I kid you not!) and tries to talk! Yesterday he said, "SIT!" when I asked him to sit in the cart at the grocery and then laughed himself silly because he thought it was hysterical when he pretended to sit and then popped right up again! He also asked his uncle Bob to pick him up. He put his hands up to Bob and said, "Baaaab! Baaaaaab!" Of course, Uncle Bob obliged! I hate to say it, except for the fact that I am like the walking dead without 8-9 hours of sleep, I like this version of Bugaboo much better (if I am allowed to pick, that is!).

Darling was grumpy all weekend and disappeared alot. I know he needed some alone time, but taking off and not telling me is not acceptable. Just when I thought we had it worked out he climbs back into his little antisocial shell and pulls those stunts. Not to mention that Bug Boy was CRYING because Darling wouldn't play monopoly yesterday. After I gave him a tongue lashing about how he can have time to himself when the kids go to bed he finally agreed that he was being childish because he was tired and played with Bug Boy all afternoon. I swear to you, men have menstrual-like cycles. I don't believe in many superstitious things, but there is certainly validity to the full moon phenomenon. My friend the Doctor of Psychology says that in her days at residential facilities (before she wizened up and went to private practice) the place was FULL during full moons. Curiouser and Curiouser...

Finally, I am convinced I am hitting menopause. The doc thinks it is approaching (just from the signs I've had) but still thinks I am too young. This not-getting-a-cycle thing is so bizarre. The hot flashes, profuse sweating, dips in hormones, all there. I am really hoping it is just my usual lack-of-normal-cycle thing, thirty-four is much to young to go through this!

By the way, I stumbled upon some great stuff from Neurodiversity. It is a group that goes about accepting children for their Neuro differences and not trying to cure or change them with outlandish therapies, diets, pills, dangerous treatments and the like. I am liking their philosophies more and more (like, my child is born this way, I am going to accept him and love him no matter what, I don't believe in the so-called cures, he is perfect the way he is!). The interesting thing is that THEY are accused of being the loonies in the Autism world because they aren't chelating, shoving pills down their kids' throats and don't do some therapies. THEY are the ones accused of child abuse and neglect. And the funny thing is this is the only group I have come across that feels the way I do, that it is most important to accept what is going on and live your life to the full, not be angry and sad and depressed and hate, hate, hate. Autism is just a term that describes a condition, it isn't the all-encompassing thing that describes or rules our lives. It is just a word. Yes, there is a family history. Yes, I know my limitations and I want to be a two-child family. But I do not feel that ANYONE has the right to tell me that I should not have more children because they might turn out like Bugaboo. I used to think that way and now I see the failure in that logic. Life has no guarantees. You get what you get and you have to move past it and just live your life. Dwelling in the difficulties in life, no matter what they are, is a moot point. Yes, it is difficult to think that way and takes time to learn to do. But once I moved past the woe-is-me stage I realized that life is beautiful and wonderful and that I am blessed with amazing gifts. It does not have to be a death sentence. Life is what you make it! So get out and live it! Be appreciative of what you have been given!

Moving right along...

I have not been to the Y in three weeks. Two of the weeks were due to sick children and then last week our membership ran out. I am going today to renew it and the rest of the week I am soooooo going. I pulled a calf muscle last night and was furious because I am typically in great shape. My clothes still fit fine but I feel so flabby (even though I know I am not, I think I am just a little stir-crazy!). I also need exercise to help me deal with the stresses in my life, it is my drug of choice to help combat the hormonal issues and mood swings. Nothing has ever worked better. And that fabulous weather we had on Saturday? Totally spoiled me. I am a winter girl but even this wool-sweater-wearing-ski-bunny wants it to be SPRING!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, M-j! You arent too young to be in PERImenopause. I had the symptoms for about 15 yrs. YUK! But, I did have a period...just very sproadic. Thought I was preggo at one pt. Does the dr want to put you on a low dose of estrogen to get a period again?