Friday, March 09, 2007

Friday Wrap-up

Soccer practice (today) and the first game of the spring season (tomorrow) are cancelled due to it BEING TOO FRICKIN COLD AND SNOW IS ON THE GROUND!!! It is supposed to warm up but the fields would be an awful mess.

Today is our appointment with the developmental pediatrician. I am looking forward to discussing the boys' progress and what we still need to work on.

Funerals suck. 'Nuff said.

I hate getting my hair wet and today I just don't want to even dry it.

I finally made an eye appointment for this coming Monday. I lost my glasses three weeks ago and I am finally going to get them replaced. I cannot see what I am typing and it is frustrating me because I make mistakes and have to sit about two feet away for the screen to be clear (farsighted) and then the screen is teeny and I have to squint. Don't even get me started on attempting to read MUSIC right now. Dots and lines run together faster than words.

My house is a balmy 64 right now. Darling refuses to raise the heat any higher due to our recent $385 utility bill (electric and heat) and refuses to believe that the spike was due to him working at home so much (plugging in his computer), the space heaters being on constantly (plugged in and electric) and the fact that he leaves the dang lights on all the time.

I went to sign up for the Y again (I forgot to renew it) which is crucial for my sanity. I waited why they tried to fix a computer glitch and then decided to go back another time, since they couldn't process my membership. I hope to do it today.

My dishes are clean and my laundry is caught up. I just need to put away the four loads (soon the be five) on my bedroom floor. I am sick of picking through baskets to find socks and underwear. The boys have wet themselves enough times this week to make me crazy.

I slept two nights in a row. I do not know what I am going to do with myself. Wanna know why? Because Bugaboo took naps two days in a row and I woke him up after 45 mins or so. He fell back to sleep easily because he was still tired (at 10). We may be going back to naps because he is just too tired to fall asleep (see the irony in that?) at night. Here's the crazy thing: When he doesn't sleep much (the past few weeks it has been 6 hours a night) he has better eye contact, better concentration, better behavior, less Doctor Destructo impersonations, more affect, more affection, better eating habits and more laughing and smiling. I do not get it. The extreme (and I mean, EXTREME) hyperactivity that this child suffers from really seems to impede him. And yes, I mean suffer from. You can see in his little eyes that he WANTS to stop running around and he CANNOT. He is so tired of running back and forth and jumping up and down and he becomes frustrated but he CANNOT stop moving. Not. For. A. Second. It is so sad to watch, I want him to be able to sit and play! And when he has less sleep he plays and plays. The past two mornings I have sent Bug Boy up to wake him in the morning(Bugaboo would sleep all morning, but I cannot allow it since his bus comes forty-five minutes after he wakes up!) and I went up to find them cuddled under Bugaboo's comforter, heads together, playing with a Thomas Laptop. Too cute. I nearly cried.

Last night Darling was working on the couch with his laptop and Bugaboo saw him and the attack began (Bugaboo is a computer-a-holic). He couldn't stop touching Darling's computer. He tried and tried to keep his own little fingers away so Darling gave up and put on a computer game to play for Bugaboo. Darling said, "Bugaboo! Do you want your own computer? Mommy and Daddy should get you a computer." Bugaboo jumped up and ran off. We did not realize what he was doing until he came down from his room a few minutes later and had his little kiddie Thomas the Tank Engine "laptop" and crawled back up next to Darling, pulled the blanket back on himself and happily pushed his OWN buttons and pretend mouse. It was so cute!!! They sat there and worked together for an hour. And Bugaboo did not try to touch Darling's computer ONCE. He did not move. For an hour. Did I mention that he sat still? For an hour?

My mother is on a crusade to send my nephew to a Catholic School. His parents (my very poor sister and her husband, the archaeologists) are dead against it. My sisters and I feel like it is a huge mistake (remember, this is the child who has autism, his parents admit it, and they don't want to take him to the doc because they don't have money for it and think he'll grow out of it). He needs to go to a public school to receive services, and our only hope for him is that the Kindergarten screening will send up huge flags. HUGE BIG RED ONES. Otherwise, he will be labeled as a behavior problem and he isn't! He is a sweet, happy, lovable and intelligent little boy who just needs to have the right learning environment. A Catholic school would crush him. Believe me, I am pro-parochial for the right child. Bug Boy may have done well there, but he would not have received services there. The nephew would be viewed as an undisciplined brat (because my mother is convinced that discipline is all he needs). My sister may have different parenting skills but she LIVES for her kids and is very creative and eccentric and artistic and wonderful. She may not discipline with a rod, but her kids are taught right from wrong. He just is not getting it because there is a communication problem.

I am hungry. I haven't eaten yet. I am stopping my rambling to get food. Have a nice day.

4 comments:

Lucy T said...

We got similar PECO bills. Mine was $389. The billing period before that was 298 and before that 240. Do they compare as well? Oh - - I seriously doubt his computer uses much . . do you really think so?

CryssyeR said...

Get your glasses. Too cute about Bugaboo and the laptop.

Funny, I am a sister and I am not against Catholic School for the kid. Not that I think Mom should decide where the kid goes. I think the only reason she is doing it is because Dino and other cousins are going to parochial school and she wants Archeology Boy to have the same opportunities. I am 100% sure it is not due to the level of education he would get. I chose parochial school for Dino because of our faith first, then because it is a top rated school. Our public school is top rated too, but that wasn't what I wanted. If it is determined Dino needs services, then I will arrange for that outside of the school environment (but the school DOES have accomodations for ADHD, so I am so not worried about it). Basically, lil sis should have the say only. Truthfully, I just feel like it's none of my business. She can raise her kid anyway she chooses. I have enough trouble trying to raise my own :)

By the way, planning a spa trip April 7th. You in?

Anonymous said...

I'm going to put my 2 cents in on meds. My eldest couldn't sit still long enough to eat a meal. You could watch the double thoughts and the smoke coming out of the ears b/c the brain was rolling so fast. The tight, tight muscles and even putting the pillow in the dryer every morning still had it pitched at the end of the mth due to mold from all the sweating.

He's still 7 and a nearly normal little boy (he has NVLD w/ S/L delay which we nearly have beaten). Still hyper, running around, still steals cookies if he can, still drives me batty, but now he sleeps properly, eats a meal without constantly being told to sit and can think his way through a problem - mostly.. language still gets in the way. All it did was take the edge off. Everyone who's had any contact with him is shocked he's on meds.

Done right... it helps.. and nobody every knows. He's on Risperdal.

My little one isn't... he's the severe ASD one... but he's the laid back one.

And.. both can use a computer better than their peers. Just don't watch them work their way through a program... it'll drive you batty :)

Anonymous said...

I also have the eldest on a dairy free diet. The dev ped was no help but we found "Unravelling the mysteries of autism and pdd" by Karen Seroussi and decided to try it. Within 48hrs they were gone. We had nightmare/terror after/during every night/nap and cronic diahhrea.

We tried gluten - must be weaned - to help with the hypers and it made no difference.

I don't view it as a miracle cure.. just something that helped the child.

As for taking dh's to appts.... I now take the family support worker - a whole lot less stress.

S.