Friday, March 02, 2007

Friday Wrapup

This will be a busy weekend. Polite boy is sleeping over tonight and Darling's sister is going to drive up from NJ and we are watching her son Saturday evening while they go to a fortieth birthday party. I like busy weekends because it is better for Bugaboo. He cannot stand the types of days where we are housebound and there isn't much to do. His little body just cannot take it.

Bug Boy is thrilled Polite Boy is sleeping over. They are buddies. Polite Boy is a great influence on him and is a great role model. When Bug Boy and Polite Boy are together, Bug Boy really works hard to hold it together and act like a "typical" child. He is doing so well at school! His teacher even told me that he is a good role model for other children, he follows the rules (imagine that, a child with ASD that sticks to the routine and rules!) to the letter and helps other children when he is finished his work (which is almost always, since he is reading two grade levels above the other kids in his class). He loves to be a leader (read: control freak). He wants so badly for the other kids to like him, sometimes he tries a little too hard. You know what? He has come such a long way the past few months. He now gets invited to ALL of the parties and has had many playdates. A huge difference from last year where kids played with him once and never called again!

Speaking of Bug Boy, soccer starts next week. All game are 9 or 10 am. WOOHOO!!! Saturday mornings, so that is awesome. And, he knows three kids on his team that go to school, one of which is in his Sunday School class. We switched soccer clubs for him this year. The one we used to belong to was right down the street but in the next town and with kids in our old school district. We liked the coach (he was amazing with Bug Boy and the kids) and the kids were all kids he went to preschool with. This year we decided he needed to start making friends with the kids from school so we put him on a team in our new school district. He is very excited and so are we! The only problem is that they do not have a special soccer program, so Bugaboo will still play with the old club, who takes kids from any town anyway.

Darling is home today. He isn't working from home, he actually took a DAY OFF!!!! So, he is currently doing taxes and at some point we are going out to lunch, while Bugaboo has therapy this afternoon. On Fridays Bugaboo has a half day and attends a therapeutic playgroup in the afternoons. We may discontinue it soon because I am considering private speech and OT on Friday afternoons, as well as a trip to the Chiropractor.

Speaking of Bugaboo, he is feeling MUCH better. A few days of motrin and he is back to the happy, smiling awesome kid that we know and love. He was in so much pain and was miserable the past two weeks. He woke up this morning and smiled the second he saw me. I love that! I love starting my day that way! He wakes up, smiles at me and then reaches his arms out to hug me and holds so tightly. There is no greater feeling to me...hugging my family is pure joy.

I've said it once and I will say it again: I have a great life. Things do get difficult and I always get the comments (how do you do it? I don't know how you do it!) but I wouldn't have it any other way. I would LOVE for Bugaboo to learn to communicate. I would LOVE for Bug Boy to have less anxiety about every little detail. But they are doing well and are happy and our family is happy. We really have more than we need and are very blessed. No matter how little sleep I get I realize that it is only temporary (although it is still difficult to remember that at 2am!).

Have a great weekend. I may or may not check in, depending on the schedule of events. In the meantime, here is your moment of zen. Look closely:






No comments: