Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I Slept in the Recliner Last Night

No, I was not in the dog house. No arguments ensued in our home last evening.

I slept in the recliner because not only did it take me nearly ten minutes to figure out how to get into bed but it took about the same amount of time and Darling's help (and much crying) to figure out how to get OUT to go to the bathroom.

Yesterday, while bringing in groceries, I felt a twinge in my back. It did not really hurt but was one of those things that cause you to think, "Hmmmm. That's not good. I think I will take it easy for the rest of the day!" I iced it, rested it, stretched it and showered it with hot water. I took Motrin and got comfy on the couch. I skipped the rest of my errands for the day because it hurt to get into the car.

From there, it all went downhill. I felt progressively worse and by the time the kids got off of their buses I could barely move. Bugaboo was sound asleep off of the bus so the bus aide carried him in for me. I kicked the kids outside since it was a gorgeous day and I could not really deal with them being inside and not being able to do anything.

By the time the three extras went home and Darling was on his way I was completely immobile. My hip kept seizing up and muscle spasms would shoot up my back. Oddly enough, I have been leaning to the side and it looks rather strange. I just cannot stand up straight.

Once Darling got the kids fed, dressed and in bed I climbed into my bed but it took me a very long time to do it. We call our bed the "princess and the pea" bed, since it is VERY high off of the ground and I need a footstool to climb into it, I kid you not. You can imagine that I am leaning to one side, not able to straighten or bend and cannot straighten or bend my knees. So climbing into a bed that I need a footstool for was nearly impossible! I finally reclined ever-so-carefully and stayed in that very comfy position for about two hours. Of course, I had to PEE the second I got into the bed but was not about to move. When Darling came upstairs at eleven and asked me if he could get me anything (heating pad, ice, more drugs) I asked him to help me get up to use the bathroom. I cried and cried and cried. It hurt worse than labor pains, trust me (I had back labor, ALL back labor!). I breathed through it the best I could but at that point the muscle spasms and cramping in my hip were too much. I broke down and could not even get my pants up from sitting on the toilet. It was really pathetic. Darling stated he thought I put too much heat and not enough ice on it (probable). Thanks, dear!

Since I knew I was not getting back into that bed (and even if I did, there was no way out of it) I decided that I would try the recliner downstairs. This has to be the ONLY time in the four years that we have had this hideously awful furniture that I was happy to have it. I can sit and put my feet up without it hurting and it is actually quite comfy to sit in that position. Darling dragged Bugaboo's comforter downstairs for me (Bugaboo sleeps in footies, never keeps covers on and his room is a virtual sauna) since our Family Room tends on the side of being chilly. And there I sat/slept. Until I heard the dog come downstairs and beg to go outside. At 7:30!

ACK! Ian's bus was coming in TEN MINUTES! I hadn't dressed him, made his lunch, given him meds or anything! So I sprang up (well, rolled off and shuffled over) to the kitchen and threw a bagel in the toaster, made his med cocktail, got upstairs, chastised Darling for not waking me ("You looked like you needed to sleep later!") and dressed Bugaboo while he was still sound asleep on the bed. Darling carried him down, I put his coat on, woke him long enough to see the bagel and he started chowing down immediately. Since the bus came a few minutes late I had just enough time to throw on a jacket and slippers (still in pjs with no underwear and a bra!) before they pulled up. The bus aide was kind enough to meet me at the porch to get Bugaboo. Do not ask me what I am going to do when he gets home (uh, call my sister-in-law who was recently fired?)

I plan on seeing the chiropractor as soon as possible but typically they want me to heal for two to three days before I go in for an adjustment, since the muscle spasm could get worse before they get better. Today I DO have to get my eyes examined (doctor rescheduled from yesterday) and Bug Boy's teacher conference is at two o'clock. No, I cannot reschedule either. The eye exam was already rescheduled, I lost my glasses two weeks ago and I am a year overdue for an exam. It is now or never. And the conference schedule was set over two weeks ago. I cannot change it.

I will, unfortunately, be skipping the parent training this evening. Unless I have a miraculous recovery I do not think I can do it. It is only a few blocks away at the IU administration building (literally within walking distance! Five blocks!) but I cannot even drive at this point. I just do not see it happening.

The good news? Well, I am forced to slow down today and take it easy. I will not go anyplace unnecessary. I have plenty of time to sit and do nothing, since sitting is the only comfy position. The not-so-great-news? Bugaboo is off for the rest of the week. Yup, another stinking inservice day. I am beginning to loathe the year-round schedule he is on. These breaks are TOO long.

Okey doke. Since the shower and dressing portion of my day will no doubt take forever, I had better get moving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marj, I'm so sorry you're feeling like this. I had a back incident several years ago and it took almost two full months for me to really feel better, but at least a week or two before I could fully function. You absolutely have to take it easy and only do what you can. Feel better soon.

CryssyeR said...

Did you make it to the chiropractor? Golly! I hope so. If you need me for anything, let me know!