Thursday, March 01, 2007

Food, Glorious Food!

Okey dokey. The number one reason I am glad to be pill-free is that I can now resume eating like a pig at a trough.

Whilst taking the evil pills I completely lost my appetite. I could barely choke down two meals a day, taking until ten o'clock in the morning to be interested in food in the very least. Those of you that know me well know that my life revolves nearly entirely around food. I love to think about it, talk about it, eat it, make it. Food, food, FOOD!!!

Somehow I was blessed enough to be born with the metabolism and body that I have. This is not the case for the rest of my family, though. My sisters struggle to maintain weight and work very hard to lose a few measly pounds. My brother can gain twenty pounds in a few weeks (Go figure, he is a cop. But it isn't donuts that get him, he is the Wawa-soft-pretzel-kinda-guy). My Dad has been large his entire life (read: morbidly obese) and my mother, before her medical problems ensued, was overweight my entire childhood. Exercise wasn't exactly the cornerstone of our family values. We were signed up for sports and dance but it kills me to know what we were eating and doing as children. I try very hard to change that in my children.

When I say I am obsessed with food, I do not mean junk food. I have my moments when I eat C-R-A-P like everyone else. I do think about potatoes quite often (my drug of choice) and overindulge on tea, which I do not feel guilty about in the least. When I obsess I think about prepping food, creating new meals, chopping veggies, making soups and stews. I love reading food journals on the Web. Of course, I do have major food texture issues. I cannot eat cake or most desserts (too sweet, weird consistency). I loathe pancakes and waffles. I cannot even think about oatmeal or cream of wheat without gagging, I do not like that texture (but can eat mashed potatoes, go figure!). I do like fruits, veggies and grains. I made a great vegetarian for two years except for the fact that I cannot eat nuts, do not like tofu and cannot gag down edamame. Back to animal protein I went (although we do not meat it everyday, I do like some veggie products, like veggie sausage and boca burgers).

The one thing that has remained constant is dairy. We love us some dairy around these parts. There are usually ten or more types of cheese in our refrigerator and we always have yogurt in there (although I cannot stand the consistency of yogurt, either!). Bug Boy now drinks soy and I am slowly switching Bugaboo over. Even Darling drinks soy now and uses it on his cereal and in his coffee. The only thing that we do not care for is soy cheese. Sorry, cannot do it. It is lousy and doesn't melt the same way!

All this food talk has made me hungry. Time for breakfast!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful Marj. I too had a fast metabolism till I got close to 40. It definitely slows down. You may end up looking weighing as much as a pig, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I would never have known about your food obsession. Have you ever tried almond milk? I picked it up in the supermarket the other week and chickened out. Soy is alright, but I'm always lookin to try new things.
Tracy