Wednesday, February 07, 2007

You don't even have to like potatoes to be my friend

I am thinking of posting a disclaimer at the top of all of my rambling thoughts. I have had more than one person tell me that they were confused or felt sensitive to the things that I am rambling on about. If that is the case, I want to tell you right now, before I post another word, that I am truly sorry that I made anyone feel uncomfortable in anyway. I do not feel I should censor what I write about, especially since it is obvious that I will not win journalism awards due to the fact that I do not proofread, I do not spell check and I rarely use appropriate punctuation. My mother is an English Professor and I am too lazy to write like a grown-up. I guess what I am trying to say:

If you are reading this and you do not agree with what I have written or you are offended or hate me for writing it, or if I wrote something and you think I am writing it directly to you, please do not avoid talking to me about it. Please take it with a grain of salt, so to speak.

You see, this here blog is just a collection of the ramblings of a madwoman. Mad Momma, really. I blog because I tend on the side of ADHD (as does most of my family) and we have more energy than a person should have naturally. If I don't blog or talk out EVERY LITTLE DETAIL running around in my head then it all gets stuck up there in the thirteenth brain cell, lost forever in a kind of limbo, never to come out again. When I am falling asleep at night the last thing I need to be thinking about is who I sat next to in ninth period English class or what type of cologne what's-his-name wore at the Valentine's Dance. I do not need to remember the way the previous owner's furniture in our PREVIOUS home was arranged, since it does not matter a hill of beans to me at this point in time. I most certainly have better things to be considering. Oh, I don't know, perhaps making doctor's appointments or filling out the endless piles of paperwork that goes along with having a special-needs child and children with IEPs?

I guess what I am trying to say is this: To all five or six of you that read this blog, please do not ever assume that I am speaking directly to you. If I am speaking to you I'll say, "Hey! SO-AND-SO! This means YOU!" I mean, I have never in my life been accused of being reticent. Let's just say I have the opposite problem (diarrhea of the mouth, I am told it is called). The other thing I do not want you to do is read what I have to say and start questioning your own decisions and your own lifestyles. I do not want you to say, "Hey! She's Catholic! She shouldn't say things like that!" or, "OMG! I cannot believe she likes Potatoes! THE NERVE!" because, you know (I cannot believe I am going to say this! Ok, here it goes...), You do NOT have to like potatoes to be my friend.

This is what I love about my friends:
  • The come from all walks of life
  • They vary in age
  • They vary in racial background
  • They vary in religious upbringing and practice
  • They have kids
  • They don't have kids
  • They like sushi and I don't
  • I like Star Trek and they still love me
So you see, just because I have an opinion about something and it differs from what you think, please do not think ill of me. Please do not be intimidated when I "get Irish" or spout off on my soapbox. Please do not think that because I make a parenting decision that it is a decision that you should make for YOUR family. All families run in their own way.

I love y'all!

7 comments:

Perky said...

Hey you! Yeah, you, Blog-girl! I got sompin' to say to you!

This mainline, Jewish, not-quite-40-year-old, sushi-eating, Star Trek-loving mommy loves reading your blog and would never be offended by anything you wrote (unless, of course, it was directly in a very mean way against a mainline, Jewish, not-quite-40-year-old, sushi-eating, Star Trek-loving mommy who happens to be rather Perky!!!!!

Keep up the bloggin! I totally understand where you're coming from and you've got nothing to apologize for. I guar-an-tee you that if I ever find anything in your blog that I don't want to read, I just won't read it. No problems, no fuss, no complaints. You keep on writing whatever you want -- it's YOUR BLOG!!!!!

So there!

: )

Anonymous said...

Luv ya babe!!! Thing 1 really wants to see Bug Boy ya know..... ;-)

Happy said...

Hey M-J! I have never been offended by anything you wrote or felt as if you were pointing a finger at me. If something did bother me, I am a big girl and I would just not read it. It's your blog and you can write about WHATEVER your little heart desires. I will continue to be a faithful reader. It sounds like you had a good doctors appointment that is helping you guy to understand all the medical/developmental issues w/your boys.

Anonymous said...

I read your blog and get offended on a daily basis. LOL!

Keep writing...it's YOUR blog.

Having a hard time deciding if your genetics post is good or bad news...

Anonymous said...

Hi, Marj! I've not been offended by your writing! Hey, if someone IS, they dont have to read it! HA!.

Lucy T said...

Hey - I'm not offended . . . ever . . by your writing . . confused? well maybe . . . . but that's OK. Ramblings of a madmomma aren't always expected to be coherent. Hey now that Perky, Heather, Trace, pkzcass, Cel and I have said we weren't offended, whose left?

CryssyeR said...

I'm not offended either. And if anyone WAS offended - they can sod off! I come here to be entertained ('cause you are so good at writing things in an entertaining way) and to keep up with things with my lil sis. I've known you all your life and you still continue to offer inspiration and motivation to me.

So there :P