Tuesday, February 13, 2007

ADHD Brains and how they work

Ok, wanna know how an ADHD brain works? Here is a portion of our conversation (well, Bug Boy's soliloquy, since he doesn't actually have back and forth conversations) on the way to duPont for our appointments yesterday:

Bug Boy: Mom?

Me: yes?

Bug Boy: Mom? I don't want Daddy to sell the jeep. I like riding in the jeep in the summer. I like it when we take the top off and go and get Ice Cream. Ice Cream has coliseum in it and that is good for my broken arm*. I like riding in the jeep. Hey! Look! A bird's nest! Do you think it's a bird? Or do you think it's a squirrel? Did you know they don't have squirrels in Australia? Shadow loves chasing squirrels. She's never caught one. Nope, never. Shadow needs her teeth cleaned. Her breath is really bad. Know what? Mom? Know what? I brush my teeth everyday and I do not have bad breath. Shadow does. Look! Another nest! Know what? I don't want to get blood work today. Ok? I don't have to get it, right? No blood work? We're going to go to the doctor to get my mole checked. I don't want them to take it off. It will hurt and they will have to give needles and blood work. I don't like that. I want to keep my mole. Can we get a kid's meal when we get there?

Me: The cafeteria won't be open until 11 for lunch...

Bug Boy: I want to get chicken nuggets and french fries. Not cheese, though. Nope. Can't have dairy. And I don't like their cheese. I'll just get ketchup. Can we stop at Wawa and get a soft pretzel?

And people wonder why my head is spinning at the end of the day...


*Bug Boy's arm has been healed for about seven months now,although he still refers to it as broken. We are selling our '84 CJ-7 garage-kept Sunday driving car and Bug Boy cannot comprehend why. It was the mantra of the day, "I do not want to sell the jeep!"


UPDATE: Perky wants to know if everyone's brains are supposed to work like this. Well, yes and know. It is one thing to be an enthusiastic child who wants to point out everything he knows in life. It is another thing altogether when he cannot concentrate, has difficulty relating things (even with the incessant chatter, yes) and when this type of brain activity gets in the way of normal day-to-day functioning. Ooops, said that N-word again. Normal. I mean TYPICAL, mmmkay? So when it gets in the way of functioning TYPICALLY, like being able to sit and read a book, being able to attend to a teacher's instructions, being able to control your body from doing certain things, then yes, it is a problem. But, like i said, it is the least of my concern. There are so many things going on with these kids that I just cannot think about it right now. So, if it is getting in the way of functioning typically, you cannot get organized, you feel overwhelmed because you get nothing done, you cannot carry on a conversation because you are constantly distracted, then yes, get it checked out.

1 comment:

Perky said...

Soooo.... ummmm..... what does it mean about me that I can totally relate to Bug Boy? Isn't that the way EVERYONE's brain works? Should I be looking into this?