Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Happy Ash Wednesday! (or, Mj Gets All Preachy On Her Bad Self)

hol·i·day /ˈhɒlɪˌdeɪ/ –noun
1.
a day fixed by law or custom on which ordinary business is suspended in commemoration of some event or in honor of some person.
2.
any day of exemption from work (distinguished from
working day).
3.
a time or period of exemption from any requirement, duty, assessment, etc.: New businesses may be granted a one-year tax holiday.
4.
a religious feast day; holy day, esp. any of several usually commemorative holy days observed in Judaism.


I know are thinking that "Happy Ash Wednesday" sounds ridiculous, but I have my reasons.

Think about it. Why do some of us observe this day? Why do we observe holidays that have morphed from pagan rituals to hallmark holidays? What is the meaning behind the days printed on our calendars? I'll give you a hint: It has nothing to do with buying cards.

In our family we do not "celebrate" St. Valentine's Day. We do not buy each other expensive, meaningless gifts to "profess our love." There is no need because we practice that 365 days a year, or at least attempt to. We do not make a big deal out of New Year's. We do not drink our selves silly on St. Patty's Day (although we conceived that night, twice!). What is the point? We allow our kids to dress up and trick-or-treat on Halloween, but we do not go nuts putting out ghosts and skeletons. We keep it "fall themed." We do not celebrate "SANTA" on Christmas. Bug Boy knows who Santa was and why he is just a "fun person" around Christmas Time. We do not get our picture taken with him and we do not give presents from him. We put no more emphasis on Santa than we do on St. Lucia or St. Nick's Day. They are just ideas and stories.

Do not get me started on Mother's Day and Father's Day. We could seriously be here all day.

Now y'all are thinking that I am a boring, mean mom who takes all of the fun out of celebration. If it makes you feel better, we DO make a big deal out of birthdays, because we want them to know how blessed we feel to have brought them into this world.

Think about the meaning behind the word "holiday."

[Origin: bef. 950; ME; OE hāligdæg. See holy, day]

Get it? Holy Day, Holyday, Holiday? Yeah, that's where it comes from. Religions have observed HOLY DAYS for years. That is where the emphasis needs to be, on observing the Holy part of the day.

Now, don't get yer panties in a twist. I'm not saying that you need to convert and celebrate Ash Wednesday because I said so. I am not even saying that you have to ditch Santa for your kids, that is your business. What I am saying is this:

If you tell yourself that you are going to "celebrate" or "observe" a particular holiday, please be mindful of just what it is you are observing. Don't do it half-assed. Find out what this day is all about and figure out why you are doing this in the first place.

I know. Easier said than done. But seriously, I have heard so many excuses about why people ignore the foundations of holidays that it kills me to recall them. You know, they don't have time, don't get the point, it is too difficult, it is too expensive to get the right foods, etc, etc. Hogwash. If you are going to "believe" something, don't cop out halfway through. Go for the full monty.

No, I am not referring to nekkid middle-aged men doing a strip tease because they need money or else they go on the dole.

Take your beliefs seriously. Investigate why you believe it. Understand more about yourself through your chosen spiritual path. Take time to find out who you are in regards to that path. Learn more about your religion. Find out why you observe those days and live that observation, don't just read about it. The only way to truly raise your children in faith is to live it every day. Pray WITH them. Go to services WITH them. I know it is difficult, Bugaboo is the last person I want to bring to Ash Wednesday services, believe me. But I will be there this today, and walk around all day with ashes on my head for a reason. To observe something that I am live everyday. That is all I am on my soapbox for.

Thanks, enjoy the veal.

And, for the record, I do not do "Fat Tuesday." But I do fast today, go to services and abstain from meat.

3 comments:

Lucy T said...

And why don't you celebrate St. Lucy's Day!!!! It is Dec 13,the day before my birthday, should you care to send me a gift. When I was in grade school, the school staff (Principal's Office) would give me gifs on my feast day. Ha! My sister still calls me on that day to wish me a Happy Feast Day (but I think she is just rubbing it in my face since I left that religion and don't celebrate saints days anymore). Then doesn't call me the next day, my actual birthday. Nice birthday greeting that is, huh? Sisters! Sheesh! Gotta love em.

Anonymous said...

I would never really have considered Ash Wednesday a "holiday." Nothing festive about getting ashes on your head and giving up meat (if you do in fact, do that).

By fasting, do you mean you're not eating anything at all? How are you still walking around?

mama k said...

Preach it!
I love the Hallmark-ness of everything, but that's because I worked there for 6 years. LOL
I do believe in focusing more on the true meaning of holidays though. So I agreed with a lot of what you had to say. It's a good challenge to me as well.