Friday, December 22, 2006

Bribery 101

I think I finally figured out how to get Darling to pull his own weight around here!

Bribery! No really! It works. This is what went down:

Me: This place is a mess. You don't pitch in and help around here, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah...

Him: Yeah, I just pay the bills! I work all day, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah!

Me: You think I don't work? Hello! I work ALL DAY! I watch other people's kids, I'm a martyr, pity me, blah, blah!


Ok, clearly this wasn't working.
Hours later:


Me: Here's my list of what got done today.

Him: It looks great in here.

Me: Say, there are clothes all over the bed that need to get put away. If you help me get that done (and a few other small things) we could go to bed early and, uh, snuggle...

Him: Okay! What do you want me to do first?

Me: How about putting away your clothes and shoes?

So you see, kids, by not playing the martyr and not dragging him down into my pity-party I killed two birds with one stone. The house work got done, he pitched in and I made my man happy. After ten years I finally feel like I am getting this down.

(The management would like to remind you that this post is meant to be tongue-in-cheek and in no way truly represents or condones bribery or marital relations as a means for getting husbands to pitch in with house work.)

3 comments:

Happy said...

Are you kidding? Snuggling is great for leverage.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Yup, that's about the long and the short of it. Why nag when you can snuggle instead?

Domestic CEO said...

That's how I get to sleep in all the time: "If you get up with the kids today, I guarentee you'll get lucky tonight." Works every time! :)