Monday, December 18, 2006

Baby Bugs do funny things

Today I went to Bug Boy's class to help with the Gingerbread House building. They made these cute little graham cracker houses and used canned icing and fruit loops and some candy to decorate them. They turned out sooooo cute and Bug Boy did a great, thorough job. Not his usual, "Two pieces and I am done" gingerbread house. He made a walkway, a chimney, windows, doors, trees, light posts (so the car can see!) you name it. And I meant to take a picture of it. If Bugaboo and Shad Roe didn't eat it (well, Bugaboo ate it while we decorated the tree, Shad Roe ate what he dropped) I would have posted it. No seriously! The Kid Who Won't Eat now has a chocolate fixation. He took one look at the M&Ms, chocolate chips and pretzels and went to town. It WAS awfully quiet in the family room while the rest of us were in the living room working on the tree!

I will, however, take a picture of our first fake Christmas Tree. Bug Boy insisted on hanging chili pepper lights on it so for the first year EVER I am not putting my usual 800 white lights on it. We also decided to skip the glass ornaments for a very good reason: Bugaboo. Our tree was knocked over three times last year, the last time it fell on him and resulted in the breaking of antique glass ornaments. Those are put away for a few years! We knew it was the right decision (not taking them out, I mean) because as soon as the tree was up, Bugaboo was stimming with the branches. Oh Lord, help me! Shadow took up her usual spot under the tree, so as we trimmed it (and mommy tripped over her about a thousand times, there are still choice words hanging in a dark rain cloud over my head.) we had to climb over her.

To create the mood a little we dimmed the lights in the house, put on Christmas music (digital cable has not one, but TWO Christmas music channels!) and giggled and talked about every ornament. We showed Bug Boy the ornaments Mommy and Daddy made as kids and told him where we obtained many of them. Well, the ones I can remember! When we were finished we admired it and returned to the Family Room, where I tried to get the boys ready for bed. Darling had to call the help desk at work (nothing like upgrading your work laptop over the phone while your kids climb over you and say,"Who farted?") and I changed Bugaboo and doled out meds. Thinking it would be easier for Darling, I turned off the music. Bugaboo came RUNNING from the other room and turned it on! So I flipped to another music channel! He begged for it to be turned back! He loves to have music on so I guess I should not be surprised. At one point we waited until he was playing with Darling on the couch, tickling and rough-housing, and then I quietly lowered the music. He stopped what he was doing and ran over to the tv and turned it back up! For a kid who doesn't seem to pay attention to much, it just goes to show you that he is ALWAYS paying attention.

Bug Boy spent the rest of his evening attempting to persuade us to let him eat the rest of the gingerbread house. His arguments are becoming more and more logical. He almost had me convinced that, "The candy has milk, right, Mom? And MILK CHOCOLATE has milk in it. And milk has coliseum in it. And coliseum is good for your bones. Since I broke my arm (seven months ago) the coliseum will be good for it. Therefore, (yes, he says therefore) candy is good for me. See, Mom? See? Can I, Mom?"

It is so difficult to discipline them when they do certain things, especially when they are so flippin' cute.

5 comments:

Dirkey said...

Glad I found you through Trace, you're a fun read.

Lucy T said...

Well just look at that updated link list! Lucy

Happy said...

Bug Boy is so cute! Did you let him pig out on chocolate after that? It must be hard to discipline when you just want to laugh and hug them (says Trace who is thinking that she won't be a good disciplinarian). All we did was put lights on the tree. The ornaments are still laying in wait in the foyer. Christmas is now so close that I am thinking about just leaving it w/lights and no ornaments for the SECOND Christmas in a row.

Domestic CEO said...

Wow - you can't really argue with that logic!

CryssyeR said...

Well, I totally agree with him! After all, if he can negotiate like that, he has a great future ahead of him :)

Great post.