Thursday, September 28, 2006

Nothing

Here's a great song. Ten points if you can guess the correct artist. If you win I will send you one gumdrop in the mail, parcel post. Can't guarantee it won't have been licked, though:

There's nothing I hate more then nothing.
Nothing keeps me up all night.
I toss and turn over nothing.
Nothing could cause a great BIG fight.

I know she meant something else about the word nothing but I like that particular part of the song because I often say there is nothing bothering me. Weeeeellll, OK! If nothing is bothering you then why can't you sleep? Why do you stare at the ceiling in the dark trying to remember and then forget and then remember and forget everything you have to remember?

Part of my problem is that I have a brain that works at warp speed. Most days so does my body. I just cannot slow it down. Nothing helps. Until I took an antidepressant about a year ago. I couldn't believe the difference. But now I hate the way it makes me feel! So I am not taking it anymore. I hate not feeling anything.

Of course, until I get used to sleeping on my own and feeling on my own I will have to deal with the sleeplessness. And I have to use my own devices to deal with things, you know, like coping mechanisms?

I can do this. I can eat better and get exercise and get more sleep and keep going to parent groups. I can also keep doing leisure activities to keep me sane. I can do this.

6 comments:

Happy said...

Yes, you can do it! We're rooting for you, although, I sort of wish I had a quarter of your energy...

AV Ghost said...

I'm sure you've heard this before, but it bears repeating. Talk to your doctor before quitting your AD. You may have to slowly taper off, and not just quit cold turkey. Let the DH know when an ugly mood swing is pending, so he knows not to rattle your cage.

CryssyeR said...

I hear you about the not-feeling-thing, but I worry about the not-sleeping-thing.

So, who wrote the song?

Domestic Goddess said...

Hey Abe,
I was at the doc last week when I was sick and told her I didn't want to take it anymore. SHe left it up to me. I am on the absolute lowest dosage (25 mgs, once a day) and we never increased it, so she said that when I was ready I could go off of it. And I can take it again as needed, meaning, if I have a really, really bad day I can take one if I need to get through something I don't feel ready to deal with.
I appreciate your concern.

Domestic Goddess said...

PS. The song is by Edie Brickell

Anonymous said...

I still don't get why you'd go off the anti-depressant. I can understand the not feeling anything feeling you kind of get. But for me, that wore off with time. And what's wrong with sort of putting your feelings on hold while you cope with life? Why torment yourself this way? Do you think that if you haven't been able to master the coping mechanisms up to this point that you'll really be able to do so in the near future given all you have to deal with on a daily basis?

Don't mean to offend, jmtc.