Friday, September 01, 2006

Beautiful morning at the playground

We managed to get in a great playdate this morning, and I met two more moms of kids with spectrum disorders. These kids went to camp with Bug Boy and Bugaboo and are about the same age. It went very well and they all had a blast. And Mommy was able to talk to people who know exactly what we are going through and we were all able to brainstorm and share ideas. Fabulous. Darling even came with us and played with the boys and helped me supervise Bugaboo so I could chat with the mommies. WOOHOO!

I like having playdates with people who know what I am going through. Bug Boy does better because he is less anxious around kids who act like him. It is like the pressure is off and he doesn't have to perform, he only has to be himself. And mommy isn't walking on egg shells, worried that he will offend someone or touch someone the wrong way, because they understand WHY he does such-and-such and when I correct him they don't look at me like I have three heads. We discovered today that we all use variations of 1-2-3 Magic with our kids. And we all use charts and reinforcements. I shared my carnival ticket schedule and reward system. They told me about things they do.

I know Bug Boy and Bugaboo have to play with "typical" kids, too. I know they need other kids around the learn social cues and what is appropriate. And, they need other kids that will teach them some lessons the hard way, like by excluding and saying mean things. Sounds harsh, but it is real life and my kids can't live in a protected bubble. Their non-typical friends help them with those lessons, too, just not in the same way. So, I think they gain the best of both words. I am all for inclusion and having my boys with "normal kids" but I feel very strongly that they need to be around kids like them, too. They need to be able to identify with someone and feel comfy. Don't we all?

These other mommies are also in a parent group that I am thinking of checking out. There are a few in our area, one is for more Asperger's-type disorders and that is ok, I could use some support for Bug Boy. But the other group is more geared towards the total spectrum. And Bugaboo-type kids. We shall see. Let's try to get Darling on board, too!!!

No comments: