Sunday, September 24, 2006

Audrey Hepburn Movies

I love classic films. Give me black and white anyday over some of the movies made today. I love the simple sets and special effects, the attractive landscapes, the beautiful costumes and the witty banter. One of my favorite actresses is Audrey Hepburn. I thought I'd take a moment to review a few of her movies, in chronological order:

Roman Holiday (1953): This has to be one of the cutest movies I've ever seen! Audrey Hepburn stars as a bored princess (Ann) who decides to escape palace life to get a taste of what is outside the walls. She meets Gregory Peck (MEOW!), a journalist who befriends her and is out for the next scoop. A sweet little romance develops between them before the Princess has to return to her duties. Some neat scenes on a scooter touring Rome, great views of famous places. I love the fountain scene.

Funny Face (1957): A goofy movie in which Audrey turns from a shy, bookish shop girl into a Paris Model. She meets a photographer (Fred Astaire) when he does a photo shoot in her book shop and he thinks she is the next "it" face. He talks her into going to Paris to do modeling and she figures it is the only way she will get to see her beatnik hero. Dick (Astaire) doesn't count on falling in love with her. Look for great fashions from Givenchy and Gershwin music. I'm not crazy about the plot but it IS Audrey Hepburn so it is worth watching. Plus, The clothes are amazing. Have you see the new GAP commercial? Stolen from this movie!

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961): If you haven't seen this, stop reading at once and go rent it. Go home and watch it. Don't eat popcorn as you might choke while watching this. Audrey is Holly Golightly, a New York Socialite who becomes interested in a young man (George Prepard) in her building. She works as a high-priced escourt and he is being "kept" by a wealthy older woman. She is searching for an rich, older man to marry and he wants to become a writer. Guess what? They fall in love! I love how quirky and sweet she is in this film. I also love that she names her cat, well, Cat. And that the climax of the film occurs in the POURING rain. Very old-school Hollywood! Once again she wears some super fashions, has adorable hair and flashes that Audrey Smile. The film in which I became a devoted fan. Look for Mickey Rooney as an Asian man in her apartment. You will also see Buddy Ebsen.

My Fair Lady (1964): I reviewed this one in a previous post, but since it is my favorite film of all time I reserve the right be be repetive. I cannot get enough of her in this film. From the smudges on her face in the beginning to the gorgeous ballroom gown she wears to the embassy ball, this was what I dreamed of as a little girl. Yes, I wanted to be Eliza. I can sing every song (poorly). I've read "Pygmalion" (the George Bernard Shaw play that this musical is based on) at least a hundred times. Rex Harrison was an interesting choice for Professor Higgins since he can't sing a note and it is a musical, but he was perfect. Audrey caused a stir when she was chosen for the role and not America's Darling Julie Andrews (who is British, mind you). They ended up dubbing her singing over in the end even though she trained with a voice coach!

Robin and Marian (1976): By this point in her career Audrey was raising children and staying out of Hollywood for the most part. She teamed up with Sean Connery for this chapter in the Robin Hood stories in which Robin returns from the crusades an old man and searches for and re-teams with some of his merry men. Kinda hokey but still cute. Not enough of Audrey in this film. But you will see Richard Harris and Denholm Elliott.

Always (1989): This was Audrey's last film before she passed away and she is only in a few scenes, but she is phenomenal anyway. This is a cute film with Richard Dreyfuss as a fire-fighting pilot who dies and comes back to make sure his lover moves on with her life. Holly Hunter, John Goodman and Marg Helgenberger (CSI) also star. Audrey is Hap, the angel that helps Richard Dreyfuss figure out how to get to his final destination.

A few other Audrey Films that stand out but I haven't seen enough times to review properly are The Unforgiven, Charade, How to Steal a Million and Two for the Road. I think she is good in everything, although I thought The Unforgiven was AWFUL!!!! Nuff said.

4 comments:

Chaotic Mom said...

I LOVE Audrey Hepburn! Didn't she do crochet on the set or something, too? Very classy lady.

Since I love gardening, too, imagine my PURE JOY when I found a TV mini-series she hosted, Gardens of the World! ;)

CryssyeR said...

Ummmm, you left out "A Nun's Story"...one of MY all time favorites. Her portrayal of a woman who chose the religious life and her struggles to come to terms with her inner feelings was one of her best dramatic performances, if not THE best one. Of course, with my history, I am partial to this one :)
Off to finally update my blog.....

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

So how do you feel about the Gap ads?

Domestic Goddess said...

I HATE THE GAP ADS!!!!!

I cannot believe they are allowing her to be exploited that way, turning her into some piece of merchandise to be marketed to fickle teens. It burns me up.

And, Crissie, I didn't leave out Nun's story. I just haven't seen it.