Thursday, June 01, 2006

My thirteen favorite green things that GROW!

  1. Daffodils...love that smell in the spring
  2. Roses. Love that smell, too! And so pretty, but so delicate. Don't like thorns, though
  3. Daisies and Susans. Reminds me of my childhood, running through them at Nana's.
  4. Zinnias. Same reason as #3 but at Grandmom's house.
  5. Spirea. A specific one, called called "Bridal-Wreath" used to grow by my house growing up. We'd collect it and make necklaces, bouquets, etc. They are difficult to locate these days, I am determined to have one at my new house!
  6. Peonies. Big, beautiful blooms for far-too-short a time!
  7. Lilacs. Ahhh...that smell....aaahhh....chooooo!!!
  8. Lilies. Remind me that the world is alive...with the sounds of music...just kidding! But seriously, when Lilies bloom, all is right in the world. Can't explain it. Just feel it.
  9. Forget-Me-Nots. I had these for one season at my former humble abode. I miss them, and will be planting them here. That color! I can't believe it exists in nature! So vibrant!
  10. Lily-of-the-valley: cute little blooms, yummy smell when you have the windows open.
  11. Hosta. At my former home I had seven varieties. Brother-in-Law calls it "lettuce" and doesn't get it, but I loved growing it!
  12. Raspberries and Blueberries. Picking them in the mountains was a joy when I was a child. Even more fun was eating them for breakfast! Mom made blueberry pancakes, we try to do this with the kids when we go to the family cabin.
  13. Copper Beech Tree. Don't ask me why, but DH loves this tree. He has to have one, and I plan on getting if for him this year, after I research it better and find out the best time to plant, optimal location in our yard, etc. I think it is romantic that he can point one out whenever we see it. And he is teaching Bug Boy the difference between Deciduous and Evergreen trees and now the different types of trees. Gotta love that!

OF course, this list is in no way complete. Even if it was "Thursday One-Hundred" It would not be complete. I love my green thumb. I miss being out there this year. It just isn't going to happen, so I settled for the consolation prize of a few flats of annuals and the meager offerings from when we first moved in. I plan on MASSIVE bed planning in the fall, followed by tons of bulbs (WOOHOO!) and in the spring I am going to TOWN!

Update: I just did a GIS to find a Spirea to put in here. What i thought was the bridal wreath, or Reeve's spirea, may be somethng else called the Vanhoutte or Arguta. My mother's spirea was a little different. As soon as I get to the bottom of it, I will let y'all know!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didnt know there's a flower called Susan coz that's my name hehehe I'd love to see that, I dont know much about flowers but I do love roses and lillies..well I love all flowers that are colorfull and smell wonderfull!

Happy TT.

Unknown said...

Ahhhh...flowers, such a great gift from God. My favorite--the rose as you can see in my name. Always held a special place in my heart for them. Are you a gardener of these flowers? My list is up!

Just Nancy said...

I LOVE the smell of lilacs!

My TT is up, too.

Tish said...

Great TT! I love most of those flowers!! Lilacs are a fav!!!! I love peonies too, they smell better than the roses, but they really dont last...and the ones I had seemed to attract ants!

BTW the Hosta I got from you last year is doing wonderfully!!! I love them, and have added many more to my garden!!! Thanks for introducing them to me. And if you would like a piece of your old home...feel free to come get some hosta back!

Tish said...

My TT is up!

Chaotic Mom said...

Hey, there! I love plants, but the ones that give food are my favorites. LOVE berries! Can't wait to grow some here... ;)

I have a "greenhouse", metal poles and tarp (light comes through) top, with zipper windows and doors. It's taking up room in my garage. I used it at the last home and LOVED it. Interested in "borrowing" it for a year or two?