Thursday, April 05, 2007

Movie Review

Today I am going to review a piece of cinematic treasure. A movie that, at its time of release, was like no other film of its kind. . It is one of the movies that makes you laugh, cry and become angry all at the same time. I am talking about...

The Wedding Singer. (1998)

Please do not laugh. It is seriously one of my favorite films of all times. I am sure it has something to do with the fact that it was set while I was in high school (well, eighth grade and then high school) and the soundtrack is exactly what I think of when I think of the music I listened to in that time period. It is one of those catchy, feel-good, laugh-at-silly-jokes kind of movies. You know, the ones were you should not laugh but you do? I mean, c'mon, Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore falling in love, what could be funnier than that?

Robbie Hart (Sandler) is a wedding singer at your quintessential eighties-tacky-ruffled-tux reception hall. He is a fairly decent singer and a great entertainer. In a small town where everyone knows everyone else, he is the only one to hire for weddings anyway. One night at work he meets newcomer Julia (Barrymore), a waitress at the hall and cousin to town tramp Holly (Christine Taylor). They genuinely like each other and Robbie tells her he is to be married the following week. Sweet Julia is thrilled to be working that day and peeks around the trees at his wedding just in time to see poor Robbie get stood up by his fiance, Linda. After going completely bonkers at the next wedding he has to work, a mere five days after his canceled nuptials, Julia lets him know about her own upcoming nuptials to Miami-Vice wannabe, Glenn. Julia somehow sweet-talks Robbie into helping her plan her upcoming wedding since Glenn is unwilling to do so with her. So Robbie and Julia become close friends, and unbeknownst to them, they fall in love in the process. After a few months of hanging out together and planning Julia's wedding they are more than friends. The problem is that Linda wants Robbie back and Glen wants to elope with Julia. After a few missed opportunities they somehow end up on a plane bound for Vegas, where Robbie saves the day. With the help of Billy Idol, that is.

What I love about this film: The soundtrack, the clothes, the references to 80s pop culture, From Michael Jackson's glove to Flock of Seagulls to Miami Vice! The ruffled tuxes, the big hair, miniskirts, it is all there.

What I wish they did differently: The end is a little cheesy for such a funny and light-hearted flick. I still liked it but it was major Hollywood cheese factory product. I also could have done without the language, as I am one of those people who cannot stand listening to it. This film has a few s-words and one f-word. There is some innuendo but it is a fairly tame film.

Look for: Christine Taylor (from the Brady Bunch Movie, married to Ben Stiller), Alexis Arquette as George (and from the Arquette acting family), Christina Pickles (from St. Elsewhere), Cameos from Billy Idol, Steve Buscemi, Kevin Nealon, Jon Lovitz and other personal friends of Adam Sandler.


Rated PG-13.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i LOVE this movie -- and the end? I ADORE IT!!!!!

2Forgetful said...

The cheese factor is part of what just makes this such a great movie. :-)

Dirkey said...

too funny, my boss and I were just talking about this today at work. We were thinking of when George sings "Do you really want to hurt me" awesome!